Cross-Cutting Topic 1: Products and markets
Objective of the Cross-Cutting Topic
- Depending on the planned and/or existing processes, the required qualities of the various products are to be addressed and criteria need to be defined, if these are not already regulated via the corresponding national and european regulations.
- Closer consideration of the product origin and the input qualities of the reactants as well as the entire product cycle (sewage sludge quality).
- In addition to establishing evaluation criteria for certification options for recyclates in organic farming, problematic impurities (such as heavy metals, etc.) should also be identified for (bio)agricultural use.
- Pricing and quality criteria for corresponding industrial raw materials are to be considered and to what extent and with what effort recycling processes can meet these criteria in the foreseeable future.
With regard to the point “Products and markets”, two different utilization paths and product lines are to be distinguished and considered:
- The agricultural and, if possible, regional utilization as fertilizer. Currently, phosphorus-containing fertilizers account for over 80% of the total P consumption in Germany. Standardizable tests to determine bioavailability are being developed and used to evaluate products.
- Industrial utilization for example in metallurgy and surface treatment, medical technology, food industry as well as animal feed production and more. Overall, less than 20% of the total P consumption is used here, for industrial applications slightly more than 10%, while food and feed industries together consume less than 10%.
- Support and monitoring of market entry barriers and obstacles, but also potential drivers, e.g. in the context of product certification or marketing strategies
- Definition of criteria for recyclates
- Involvement of projects and experts outside the funding measure in the activities/events of the cross-sectional topic